These were employed for illuminating targets for the guns at night. Three types of light were used during the Victorian and Edwardian periods:
a) Fixed beams for the mine fields under the direction of the Royal Engineers;
b) Movable beams for the water in front of the minefield, under the direction of the officer in command of the Q.F. guns and other small guns;
c) Movable beams under the direction of the officer commanding the heavy guns. Those at Fort Gilkicker fell into the last category. They were in use at Gilkicker for a very short period of time, probably from 1904 to 1906, although it is possible that they were retained for instructional use by the neaby School of Electric Lighting.
The Electirc Light Stations are marked appear on the O.S. Maps of 1939 and 1950 but do not appear on earlier maps.
(click for a larger picture)
Concrete base no.1 for a coast Defence Electric Light (D.E.L.) to the east of Fort Gilkicker.
The same base as above viewed from the earth bank.
Concrete base no.2 for a D.E.L. to the east of Fort Gilkicker.