Stokes Bay : Railway and Pier

 

 

 

The Railway to Gosport and Lee

 

1890 Map showing the War department extension of Queen's Head Lane to serve the station.

The Fareham to Gosport Railway was opened in 1841. The military road connecting the forts of the Gosport Advanced Lines crossed the railway line close to Fort Rowner and the nearby Garrison Church. From 1865 Brockhurst Station was opened to serve these forts. The War Department extended Queen's Head Lane to serve the station. The building at the west end of the Lane was the old Blenheim pub. From 1893 the station was renamed Fort Brockhurst Station as it was easily confused with Brockenhurst Station in the New Forest. The Gosport line was extended from Gosport Station by 600 yards in September 1845 to a station in the Royal Clarence Yard at a cost of £8,000 for the sole use of Queen Victoria when travelling to and from the Isle of Wight.

 

From 1863 a service ran to Stokes Bay pier via the Gosport terminus and from 12 May 1894 a branch line running a shuttle service ran from Brockhurst to Lee-on-the-Solent, with the terminus close to the pier. This branch line followed the line of the military road from Fort Brockhurst Station as far as Privett Halt, halfway between Forts Grange and Gomer, before turning west across Browndown towards Lee. Privett Halt was renamed as Gomer Halt in October 1909. A second halt at Browndown served the military ranges, allowing soldiers to travel from their barracks (mainly at Fort Gomer) to the training grounds. A third halt was opened at Elmore 11th April 1910. The Lee line closed to passengers on 31 December 1930, with the service for goods trains ending on 30th September 1935.

 

Railways 1910
Railways 1910

 

 

The Fareham to Gosport line was closed to passengers on 8 June 1953. Goods trains continued to run until 30 January 1969.

 

Fort Brockhurst Station

 

Fort Brockhurst Station with WD Siding 1910

At Fort Brockhurst Station a siding was added by1910 on the west side of Military road to serve the nearby fort.

Plan dated 1957.

Fort Brockhurst Station with WD Siding. The station is renamed Fort Brockhurst in 1893.

 

 

 

Scott at Fort Brockhurst Station. Scott at Fort Brockhurst Station.
2-4-0T No.21 "Scott" at Fort Brockhurst on 26th December 1900. Scott at Fort Brockhurst Station

 

One of the two regular trains operating on the Gosport service was Scott, seen here at Fort Brockhurst Halt.

 

Engine No.392 Lady Portsmouth at Fort Brockhurst Station Fort Brockhurst Station looking back towards the station with the Garrison Church to the left. The branch line to Lee opens May 1894
Engine No.392 'Lady Portsmouth' at Fort Brockhurst Station 1930: Fort Brockhurst Station looking back towards the station with the Garrison Church to the left. The branch line to Lee opens May 1894 No.392 "Jumbo"? (former Lady Portsmouth)

 

 

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

 

 

Creative Commons License
This work is licenced under a Creative Commons Licence.

 

Fort Gilkicker: A plan of the fort showing the concrete searchlight bases.
Fort Gilkicker: Searchlight Mark I - Sautter Lemonnier type
Obsolete by 1902.
Fort Gilkicker: Searchlight Mark III - Projector, 90cm with glazed door and reflector frame. Service projector in use from 1902 for Defence Electric Lights.
 

 

Logo