Fort Gilkicker

 

 

The Fort in Use: A Chronology

 

1863 June: Building commenced
1868 December: Trials to determine ammunition supply for coast defence batteries conducted at Fort Gilkicker with 2 x 9-inch RMLs
1868 Trials on lighting of magazines carried out at the fort
1867-1868 Cunningham's trials of new traversing equipment and shell carrier
1870 Roof gun positions commenced
1871 Building completed
1871 Fort partially armed
1871 Gilkicker used for militia training.
1872

5th. Battery 7th. Brigade R.A. stationed in Gilkicker.

Eight of the guns reported as being unable to clear the Isle of Wight.

1874

No.3 Battery 21st Brigade Royal Artillery.

1879 Submarine mining experiments carried out.
1879 Naval warfare exercise at Stokes Bay with Forts Gilkicker with Monckton.
1880 Day-time Naval warfare exercise at Stokes Bay using Gilkicker and Monckton.
1881 4th. Battery 7th. Brigade R.A. moved in 1880. Left 1881.
1881 14th. Battery 11th. Brigade R.A. (A.L.) moved in 1881. Left 1882.
1884 10 gun shields and 8 shield frames installed.
1885 Two 12-inch RMLs installed.
1885 No.5 then No.6 Battery Hampshire Artillery Militia training in Gilkicker.
1886

2 x 12-inch RML gun installed in the roof positions .

1887 10th. Battery Cinque Ports Division moved in. Left 1888.
1888

Some casemates filled to act as traverses.

Casemate guns reorganised into smaller gun groups.

  Ditch partially filled to level of magazines.
  Roof positions strengthened.
1890 Modifications to the magazines completed.
1891 Attrnetionm drawn to the unsatisfactory position of two of the roof guns.
1891-92 Two roof guns removed to Southsea Castle and positions converted to observation positions.
1892 9th June: 1st Hants Volunteer (Southampton) Artillery at Fort Gilkicker for Practice.
1892 Hydrophone experiments at Stokes Bay and Gilkicker.
1893 August 17: 220 Gordon Boys camped at the fort for two weeks.
1895 Used for training the militia .
1898 Montgomery Reports on proposals for new armament of BL guns.
1902 Reconstruction for BL guns commenced.
1904 Earth bank added circa.
1904 to 1906 Crossley generators and Defence Electric Lights fitted.
1904 Recommendation by the Owen Committee to disarm Gilkicker.
1905 Reorganisation of R.E. - Stokes Bay used by the School of Electric Lighting (Searchlights).
1905 Fortress Defence Scheme- Gilkicker to be manned by Northumberland R.G.A. Militia in time of attack.
1906

Reconstruction of Gilkicker completed.

Barrack block converted to married quarters for Royal Artillery and Engineer families.

1907 B.L. Guns dismounted.
1911 No.42 Company Royal Engineers at Gilkicker and Monckton.
1915 Detachment of 3rd Battalion Royal Hampshire regiment at Fort Gilkicker.
1917 Gilkicker armed with 3-inch AA gun.
1939-45 Mobile searchlight and Bofors 40mm AA installed during WWII.
1939 Trinity House observation post at Gilkicker after 1939
1944 Gilkicker used as communications centre for D-Day landings
1945

R.E. Families occupying barrack quarters.

Italian P.O.W.s working in and around the fort.

1953 28-29 March: Naval exercise 'Coast Artillery' firing small callibre guns from Fort Gilkicker, also searchlights.
1956 Coast Defence abolished and Gilkicker stood down.
1956 Royal Engineer families moved out of married quarters.
1956 Fort used by Department of Environment.
1959 Access to the beach at Gilkicker closed by Gosport Borough Council.
  Gilkicker maintained by personel from Fort Brockhurst.
  Fort used as a storage facility by H.M.S Dolphin for submarine spares.
1986 Fort released by the Crown, purchased by Hampshire County Council .
1987 Clearance by H.C.C. work began.
1987-1999 Fort used as a building materials store by H.C.C.
1995 Hampshire County Council proposals to restore the fort.
1999 Phoenix Trust proposals to convert the fort.
2000 Planning permission finally approved.
2001 Phoenix Trust withdraws the scheme November.
2002 February: Hampshire County Council issues a press statement to generate interest in the future of the fort.
2006 October: Try Homes withdraws from the proposal to convert the fort to 17 Luxury homes and a small museum.
2006 October: Planning permission expired October.
2006 Marketing commenced on Friday 26 January with a tender closing date of 11 May.
2007 July: H.C.C. announces its intention to sell the leasehold of the fort to a new developer.
  Askett Hawk Developments are chosen to undertake the task of converting the fort for modern housing.
2007 November: Askett Hawk Developments outline their proposals for the development of the fort into apartments.
2009 August 11th: Gosport Borough Council Regulatory Board approve Askett Hawk Developments' proposals for the restoration and conversion of Fort Gilkicker.
2010 March: Secretary of State's Inquiry into the proposals commenced.
2010 August: Secretary of State approves the planning application.
2011 Fort Gilkicker open days allow visitors to see the potential of the apartments inside the fort
2012 March 5th: Work begins to clear the undergrowth from the earth mound surrounding the fort.
2016 Jan Fort Gilkicker Developments Limited is incorported to take over the development of Fort Gilkicker form Askett Hawk.
2016 Planning permission is extended for a further three years. A new secury fence is erected and the fort is made secure once more.
2016 Fort Gilkicker Developments Limited is named as the sucessor in title to Fort Gilkicker Properties Limited by virtue of a transfer dated 16 Novewmber 2016
2016 Dec Fencing is erected around the perimeter Fort Gilkicker to prevent unathorised access to the site and mitigate problems caused by constant vandalism
2017 Apr Work commences to widen and strengthen the access road to the fort. (William Jervois Way)
2017 Aug Fencing is erected around the perimeter of the Fort Gilkicker site to undertake scrub clearance works and potentially create a site compound.
2018 Aug Andrew Temperton of Fort Gilkicker Developments Ltd. was reported as saying that investors backing the Fort Gilkicker Development have pulled out of the project, leaving him with no choice but to put the fort back up on the market.

 

 

 

e-mail : e-mail

 

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

 

Creative Commons License
This work is licenced under a Creative Commons Licence

 
 

Logo