View the entrance and wall on Streetview
On January 19 1860 The Times reported:
On the sea face, from Fort Monckton, a plateau rises abruptly from the low ground beneath to a height averaging about 18 feet, and extending to Lord 'Ashburton's marine residence at the end of this position of the line near Fort Gomer. On this plateau stands Anglesey-terrace, Alver Cliff, the residence of Mr. Bingham, the well-known London police magistrate.
In 1861 Alvercliffe House appears to have been a school as the census shows 13 scholars and a school mistress living in it. Sometime between 1862 and 1871 it was acquired as the residence of the Commanding Officer Royal Engineers. At one time it was occupied by Henry Schaw (Maj. General R.E. 1829-1902 Deputy Director of Works for Fortifications) and his wife Louisa Mary.
Various directories list the house as occupied by:
1907 Lieut. Col. Broke.
1911 Lieut. Col. Broke.
1916 Liet. Col. George Cartwright R.E.
1932 Major Eric Chippindall.
1939 The house is not listed in Kelly's Directory.
Nothing now remains of the house itself and modern housing now stands in the former grounds. The perimeter wall however can still be seen, as can the entrance gateway which still bears the name of the house. The masonry wall approximately 110 feet long and 10 ft high is alleged to have been built by Napoleonic prisoners-of-war, or alternatively built using stones from Alverstoke Church demolished 1850-1885. Williams, writing in Gosport Papers No.14 says that the wall was built by the Royal Engineers.
The wall to Alvercliffe House is interesting as it is contains many dressed and shaped blocks, some of granite. It has been suggested they came from the copings, sills and embrasures of the demolished No.3 Battery, which was the other side of the road from the house. This is unlikely as the wall seems to pre-date the battery.
No photographs of the house have so far been found.